Friday, February 20, 2009

Fable 2 - Incentivising you NOT to play

So I picked up a copy of Fable 2 when it first came out a few months back. It's a great game but, as is often the case, it came out at the same time as several other, equally great games (damn you, Christmas!)

So... poor, old Fable 2 got abandoned halfway through, and now I just can't bring myself to pick it up again. Why? Because not playing Fable 2 will make me rich beyond my wildest dreams...

The land of Albion. Just as I left it four months ago.

In Fable 2, any property the player owns can be leased out to the inhabitants of Albion (the game's fictional setting). This is a great way to earn a little extra gold if you are saving up to buy that tasty Sword of Ass-kicking +4. What's even better is that your property will continue to accrue rent even when you are not playing!

And therein lies the problem. I know that the longer I stay away from Fable 2, the richer I'll be when I return, and the easier it will be to burn through the game with a load of snazzy gear. To be fair, I did pick it up very briefly over Christmas...

...so I could use the money my tenants had generously given me to buy even more houses! MWUH-HAH-HAH-HAAAAAAAAH!

In a way, perhaps, I am still playing Fable 2 - by role-playing a penny-pinching landlord.

What do you think about it? Am I being encouraged not to play? Or am I trapped a fiendish meta-game of Peter Molyneux's insane devising?

1 comment:

  1. Why don't they issue Microsoft points that are limited to Fable 2 purchases on Xbox LIVE Marketplace?

    ReplyDelete